box-facebookenglish

hnappur-evs-english

latestnews

Gaddstaðir

The first mention of the farm of Gaddstaðir is in church records of the church at Oddi in 1270. At that point the farm is called Gauxstaðir (Gauksstaðir), but the first mention of the name of Gaddstaðir is in church records from 1397. The farm was abandoned in 1957. Several historical records of the land qualities of the farm exist. In Jarðabók (1711) the notes on the farm include “Grazing land mostly covered by sand and little grass outside the infield”. A farm assessment from 1849 describes the farm thus: “ Good infields, but subject to sand encroachment. A smattering of land suitable for grazing in the outfields. Small patches only“. The farm was reassessed in 1884, when a few scattered patches of outfields suitable for grazing remained and “farm- and infield plots virtually ruined due to sand encroachment and no safe place for either on the farm”. A property assessment in 1940 described the farm thus: “Infields: 2/3 passable by mechanised vehicles, rest easily passable. Outfields: Smattering of grass, tussocky. Grasing: Mostly grassland and eroded sand. Rather limited grazing land, but decent grazing. Drawbacks: Considerable encroachment.Grasing land heavily eroded by sand drift”.

The Millennium Forest at Gaddstaðir is 130 hectares in size.  The Soil Conservation Service of Iceland began conservation efforts in 1985 on a sand plain near Gaddstaðir, on around 300 ha of land. When the Millennium Forest project began the vegetation cover of the area was minimal, except in places where seeding with lupine and lyme grass had been carried out.

The Rangæingar Forestry Association supervises the forest at Gaddstaðir, with support from Kaupthing Bank, the Soil Conservation Service of Iceland, Landsvirkjun, the Icelandic Forestry Association and the municipality of Rangárþing ytra.

 



The Icelandic Forestry Association | Thorunnartun 6 | 105 Reykjavik |  Tel : +354 551 8150 | Email:
skog@skog.is
Avant Olís Toyota